Here are some wierd things that have happened as a result of getting involved directly in politics:
1. I was friended on Facebook by California Secretary of State Debra Bowen, who seems to actually update her own profile on a fairly regular basis. I think its probably her because there's a lot of stuff about her gardening hobby, and also her thoughts on new voter registration forms.
2. My efforts to use the hometown, labor-friendly bank for my campaign account are making me long for the pleasures of impersonal online banking with a multinational corporation. It takes so damn long to do everything when there is (1) only one branch, (2) no ATMs, (3) no debit cards and (4) an online interface that only offers your balance. I actually had to get my online password by emailing a woman named Lori. Its killing me over here.
3. I've learned that everything is political. And that you can't be thin-skinned or else you will die of the paranoia.
1 comment:
Bowen friended my roommate today, who is totally apolitical. I guess that is how one amasses 1300+ friends on facebook. But she is on there updating her status multiple times per day. A few highlights from her recent status updates:
"Debra is having trouble ... Facebook is totally loading strangely via wifi in the car this morning."
"Debra is ducking easter eggs thrown by people who couldn't make a three-point basket no matter how good their brackets are."
"Debra is not the dude, but she abides."
"Debra is keynoting the dedication of the 405 / 10 interchange to Marilyn Reece, the first female civil engineer in CA, who designed the interchange in 1964."
"Debra is certifying the results of the February 5 California primary"
"Debra snapped the biodegradable cornstarch-based spoon from the Longworth House Office Building Cafeteria in half."
Even before we were facebook friends, but DEFINITELY after, she's my favorite elected official.
Post a Comment