When I started my little celebrity look-alike contest, I was joking around, looking for a way to flatter myself by comparing myself to Linda Evangelista, Tina Fey and Isabella Rossellini. I didn't realize that Sarah Palin would make it all go terribly awry. Here's what happened: Sarah Palin came on the scene, and Tina Fey played her to great effect on SNL. You've seen it, I'm sure. Now suddenly everyone knows who Tina Fey is, and my neighbor isn't the only one who notices the resemblance.
But okay, enough. I'm over it.
The other day, I was at The Gap, returning jeans for my rapidly thinning husband. Here's the dialogue with the sales clerk. Actually, it was basically a monologue, so I will skip my "mm-hmmms":
Clerk: Will this be all? You look like someone. Who? Who?
Me: Sarah Palin? Tina Fey?
Clerk: Tina Fey! That's it, you're Tina Fey!
Me: No, I'm not. I just look like her. It's the glasses.
Clerk: And the hair. Why did you get the same haircut as her?
Me: I didn't (drowned out explanation about how we both just have wavy thick hair)
Clerk: Well, you look just like her. You could be her. JESSICA! Come here and look at this lady! It's Tina Fey. (other sales clerk looks over and sort of smiles) PAUL, come up to the register. (Paul comes up) It's Tina Fey. Seriously, isn't it? ("I'm not", I mouth). YOU ARE TINA FEY.
(I swipe my card). Let me see your driver's license. I want to see if you're Tina Fey. (To woman in line behind me) It's Tina Fey! Okay, you're not Tina Fet, but YOU LOOK JUST LIKE HER! That's so crazy. I can't believe I had Tina Fey in here.
I thank her and leave. Wierd, annoying. Then the other day Mr. Scob and I were at a holiday party, and near the end, as we were about to leave, the hostess exclaims, "Oh my God, I meant to show you! Did you see Vanity Fair!? You ARE Tina Fey" She uncharacteristically sprints from the room and returns with the magazine. She opens to a picture of TF looking sexy-ish and says, "MMM, Hmmm, that could be you!" She then goes on a little about how she and her husband had been discussing my Tina Feyness and she'd meant to tell me earlier.
As irked as I am about this, I bet Tina Fey is even more annoyed by the comparisons to Sarah Palin. Wow, irritating. I don't know how Sarah Palin feels about being compared to me all the time; she and I don't talk. But if she's getting nearly as much of the mistaken identity stuff as Tina and I are, I think even feel sorry for her. Hopefully Sarah Palin and I can dissolve back into the woodwork, and let everyone just recognize Tina Fey for who she is. That's all I really want out of this.
No comments:
Post a Comment