2. I haven't watched ET since probably 1982 because the end scared me so much. I will still near tears (except for the annoying score) for the last 35 minutes.
3. Critics probably said this at the time, but since I was 8 I wasn't hip to it, but the story is so obviously an allegory about the affection that children have for their immigrant caregivers in a world of displaced, unfinished suburban sprawl and a burgeoning divorce rate. Recall that this movie was released the last time that immigration reform was on the horizon, and "aliens" and their roles in the lives of Southern California children would have been pretty salient. Also interesting is that Elliott's father has left their mother and moved to Mexico. The implication being that he's left his family for another woman there.
4. Hipsters of my era (who are in their 30s now) clearly developed their sense of style from this movie and others of that time. There are aviator glasses, trucker hats, puffy vests on C. Thomas Howell, et cetera. Yup, he's in that movie too. It's funny to me that the style of my contemporaries is based on 14-year olds in a movie released in 1982.
1 comment:
Every person has its own sense of style. But, it is good if we adapt our style by keeping in mind if it will look good to eyes or not!
Post a Comment