Sunday, November 16, 2008
The Dumb Things Parents Do
When you are a parent, you do a lot of weird and sometimes stupid things: volunteer to make all the Christmas cookies for the class, scream at your child for doing a head stand, having another kid. Today, I got the kids 4 goldfish. What started as a promise to get one fish quickly became a major undertaking. Why? Because they are 4 for a dollar. Four fish means you need a much bigger bowl, and plants, etc etc. Some of you might not think this is crazy. Maybe you got a puppy when you were 7 months' pregnant, so 4 fish seems like no biggie. But we are going away for a week in 6 days, which means I have to find someone to watch the damn fish. My fish, because the kids will be negative helpful, and Mr. Scobie has already disowned me. Better than getting a puppy - or pregnant - right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The bad thing about goldfish is that they are prone to die abruptly- usually at night and the first one up in the morning (not the parents!) finds them floating belly up. I'd start thinking about explaining goldfish heaven, myself.
I remember seeing my guppies dead in their bowl on top of the refrigerator (the only place the cats couldn't get to) when I was young. wrenching. MIL
We'll watch your fish when you're away. It's thanksgiving staycation for us. Also, have you considered how much the fish might enjoy having a bionicle to swim around? Or how about a giant lego Indiana Jones temple?
Post a Comment