Monday, November 10, 2008

Back to The Wire

Now y'all know, I am crazy about two things: Barack Obama and The Wire. And I am over the moon about Obama's election. Sh*t's changing already. I saw a headline today: "Obama plans to close Guantanamo". Amazing. It hasn't even been a week and the cloud is lifting, the sun will shine.

I do have one little lump of worry in my throat, though. The short-hand for all this, in Wire terms: "It's a new day in Baltimore."

For those of you who refuse to take my advice and just watch the damn show, I will give a little context. At the end of season 4, Daniels has been promoted by Mayor Carchetti, who has promised him that much-needed change is coming to the Balmawr Po-leese. Daniels shares with Lester Freemon, a long-suffering homicide detective, the above-quoted sentiment. At the beginning of season 5, we learn that things are worse than they were before, and our heroes spin off in unfortunate and, in some cases, unethical circumstances. Freemon is disgraced by a bogus serial killer created with McNulty; Daniels has resigned under pressure and blackmail. It's a total (excuse my language) fucking tragedy.

And so, I worry. My worry is not alleviated by this:


Please will.i.am, do not doom the Obama administration!

*Hey, Wire nerds, I just realized (when I tried to find Daniels' speech on YouTube) that New Day was also the name of the drug co-op run by Stringer and Prop Joe. Once again, Simon and Burns amaze me with their genius.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the big deal with the Wire? I never saw it and I can't commit to another progran right now...but everybody I know is head over heals abaout that show.

mu-galto said...

I have only seen season 1 and while the credits rolled on the last episode, I ordered seasons two and three from amazon. I am on season two, so I don't know if I can read you post - it may be a spoiler.

Anonymous said...

You've prolly seen this, but, in case you haven't:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/3/7blaszak.html

Seamus Furr said...

"New Day Cooperative" -- where dealers go to collude.

Now, which member of the Obama cabinet will be Prop Joe?