Monday, February 12, 2007

Thanks for Visiting

There's been a real uptick in earnestness among some of my readers that I wanted to bring to the attention of some of my other readers.

First there were two, two!, members of the Toledo Boosters Club or Junior Chamber of Commerce who weighed in to unnecessarily defend Toledo. I say unnecessarily because I wasn't actually offending Toledo. At least, I didn't think I was.

And then there is the Maria Callas fan who felt the need to reiterate what had been my essential point - that Mary J. Blige is not, despite the hyperbole of the Grammy writing staff, Maria Callas. "Sarah" of The Maria Callas Defense Fund has 21 of her own blogs, and none of them devoted to Maria Callas. Coincidence or oversight? You be the judge.

Is my writing style too subtle? And are there more people out there who troll for Toledo references in blogs so they can take a swig of Franzia and type a rousing defense of their adopted hometown? And by using the word Toledo four times in this post, do I invite their wrath?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was I who offended with my "cold toledo=frozen hell" joke/purely objective observation.
this is dan, btw

Andrea said...

I deduced from the Dayton remark that it was you. But don't worry, I think those ferocious Toledolanders were just hair-trigger ready to go after anyone who mentioned their holy land. You calling The Promised Land "hell", invoking a tried-and-true Midwest aphorism, may or may not have been the trigger. I take responsibility for all the content here at St Scobies. If one offends, we all offend.

Anonymous said...

Toledo is awesome! It's like paradise on earth.

Youngstown, however, can SUCK IT.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!
I'll roll with Toledo till the wheels fall off, my friends (and they'll fall off before you get down the block, so you better get that extended warranty), but fuck Youngstown, yo.