But I will be upfront here about what I'm basing this review on. I will be relying on (1) the author's blog and the outtakes from the book reported thereon; (2) "Customers Who Bought Related Items Also Bought" list from Amazon; (3) the cover illustration of the book and (4) tales my husband has told me about the author over the past 17 years. I will not reference or rely on (a) the book itself or (b) my personal interactions with the author.
Holy Hullabaloos is a chuckle-a-chapter examination of the intersection of religious conviction and spiritual ambivalence that is articulated throughout American culture and federal law. Prof. Wexler does double-duty as a humorist and law-professor-to-the-masses without wading into this emotional topic over his head. Anyone who gives passing notice to John Fante* will be richly rewarded by Wexler's forays throughout the American religious geography. Followers of Wexler's creative career will be disheartened that he didn't paint the cover himself; a regular reader of his blog will likely know to fault his editors for this artistic oversight. Regardless of your religious beliefs, there's no doubt that you will enjoy this stimulating summer read more than the Broadway musical Cats.
(Actual review to follow)
* I have no idea what this means.
2 comments:
one chuckle per chapter? that's not too many chuckles
*sigh* Sorry Jay, but I haven't read the book yet, so I went with the charming-turn-of-phrase. Consider that to be a floor, not a ceiling. I will issue a third, number-of-laughs-accurate review after I read the book. The whole book. I promise.
Post a Comment