Friday, December 27, 2013

And That's All, Folks

That last post was the last one lingering in the drafts folder. That means all new content will be current and exciting and, well, new. Assuming that I can think of anything new and interesting to post and then also sit down and type it within a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, it's that time of the year. The time of year for reviewing my 2013 New Year's Resolutions before I make my new ones. Here's a link. Here are the 2013 resolutions:

1. Obtain and maintain a sour dough starter: Done. It's in the fridge, still alive but barely used. I ended up eating a lot less bread this year.

2. Take a sewing class: Did not happen. I used my sewing machine a couple of times and had the same thought I always do: "I should really take a class."

3. Try Pilates: Did not happen. Cannot seem to make this happen. Found a good exercise class regardless.

4. Read one book per month: I read 4 George RR Martin novels and "Far From the Tree" by Andrew Solomon, so I feel like those should all count for double. I read a Joan Didion novel (possibly two) and "Mating in Captivity", which I highly recommend to anyone who has ever been in a relationship. I read "Searching for Dave Chappelle", but since that's a Kindle single, I am not sure it counts. It was good though. I feel like I should get partial credit for this one.

5. Buy at least 5 new albums: I bought "The Hound Chronicles/Hot Garden Stomp", The Mountain Goats. "Synchronicity", The Police. The Very Best of Daryl Hall & John Oates, "Cold Fact", Rodriguez. "Santigold", Santigold. "Rogue's Gallery", Various. While I technically purchased more than 5 albums which are new to me, none of them were released in 2013, and some of them are almost older than me. I do feel like I should get credit for this one, but for the technical completion, I am giving myself enough credit to complete the credit from the one above. One total point across these two categories.

6. Camp at least once: I accompanied my then-3rd grader on his camping trip to Gold Country last spring. This was not the back-country adventure I may have hoped for, but there was a tent and sleeping bag, s'mores, walking in the dark to brush my teeth, etc. Plus, there was no alcohol allowed, so I feel like that made it more difficult than a regular camp-out at the state park. Done.

7. See Big Sur: Did not happen. Is it possible that I could do this by Tuesday? I do not have plans this weekend. (Looking into this)

8. Finish my novel about Mars: Did not happen. I did write a different novel though. Working title is Upstate, and while it is not polished, it certainly is far more complete than the Mars novel. I also understand now why I did not finish the Mars novel. In the final tally, I think finishing a totally different novel is more impressive than finishing one I started the year before. Therefore, I am giving myself credit for having accomplished something here.

9. Oh, and I will try blogging a bit more: Done. I posted 55 times (including this post) compared to just 13 times in 2012 and 15 times in 2011.

The final score is 5-4 on resolutions for 2013. Come back soon for the 2014 resolutions, which will be more specific, more realistic and more awesome that 2013.

No comments: