Friday, November 13, 2009

The Last Generation

I'm not given to wistful, generational hairsplitting, but after that Veterans' Day post, I've been trying to think of other things particular to "my generation" (in my mind, that means people born in 1974). Aside from not serving in armed conflict, what else is particular to us?

We are the last generation to follow the Grateful Dead. And there are probably precious few younger than us that religiously followed a jam band.* I never followed the GD or a jam band, and in fact openly ridiculed others who did, but still, at least it stopped with us.

We are the last generation to be born without a computer keyboard at our fingertips and the first generation to know what to do with one if we see it.

Okay, that's as far as I can get. Can you think of any others?

* For more on my views about jam bands, read this post.

2 comments:

Al said...

I think we may be the last generation to use VCRs (I still use mine). We are the last to see a cassette player too I think. And we are probably the last who walked to school unchaperoned every day also.

Anonymous said...

We are the last generation to have free TV and antenna for reception.

Dave