I started my new job today, and since I don't have any actual work yet, I thought I would let you know about some of the awesome features that I have discovered here at HQ. Most of them are facets of the building itself, which was built in the 196os for Blue Cross.
First of all, the mailroom and kitchen are together in one room. The "mailroom" is actually a vertical conveyer. You put your mail in a basket and put it on a tray in the wall, push a button and it is gently guided onto the conveyer. The default is for all mail to travel down to the basement but you can select other floors. When mail comes to our floor, it appears in a separate window, having been lifted from the conveyer by an invisible arm, and then is given a gentle shove so that it slides down an inclined metal table. Beautiful. I can't wait to use it. Because the building has only ever been used by sole tenants/occupants, they've kept this system operational. As close to a pneumatic tube system I suspect I will ever see.
Next: the stalls in the women's bathroom are a beautifully bright shade of orange. Just a really drenched color. And the bathroom is literally just around the corner from my office, so its nothing to just pop in there whenever I went. But since its around a corner, I don't have to see other people coming and going.
Next: there's a white porcelain water fountain (or "bubbler") about 20 steps from my office. It works. I doubt anyone uses it though because its down a hallway where no one seems to walk (IT is bend the wall across from it, so its all closed up). I can use that hallway to go to the elevators without anyone seeing me.
Finally, the cafeteria here is insanely cheap. Hamburger and fries: $2.95. Executive's Brunch (2 eggs, bacon or sausage, home fries, fruit, coffee): $3.75. One egg, cooked: 80 cents. Come over any time and I will take you to lunch.
And it's only 1:35!
No comments:
Post a Comment