Now that I am paying attention again, I want to share two new blogs that are must-follow. My old friend T&A is blogging again at My Other Blog is A Mommy Blog. Jenny is awesome; I think you'll love her as much as I do.
The other blog that I have obsessively checked like 14 times today (and today was actually way too insane to be reading blogs, involving as it did human excrement, copious amounts of bleach and a formaldehyde spill - not related incidents, by the way) is WHPK Record Library. A little back story. In college, I was a DJ and station manager at WHPK, my college radio station. The record library there was impressive. 8 foot shelves around the entire perimeter of a 12x12 foot room, with additional shelves in the middle, with every snobberific indie or punk band sandwiched into the room. Traditionally, the music director would slap a fat white sticker in the lower left corner of the record, date it and put a few comments to guide the DJ. Best cut, not-safe-for-daytime-play, etc. Other DJs could comment, and usually did. Stickers would be added, homophobic comments would be made. The homophobic stuff is firmly not awesome, but I can attest that most, if not all, of those guys have repented their spiteful ways (externally) and some have even come out of the closet. This awesome site is posting one album per day. They could post a new album every day until the day I die and it still wouldn't touch the breadth of that record library's awesomeness.
Yes, I am nostalgic. But I also think the WHPK blog would benefit from an interactive component, like the New York Public Library Menu collection. On this site, you can assist the NYPL decipher their enormous menu collection by transcribing the menus that have been scanned in. It's hella fun. I would totally spend hours transcribing the comments on record labels, by the way. It would be like meditation for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment