Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A question

I know this is incredibly wierd to ask, but it has been baffling me all day. What is the name of the shape of an almond or an eye? Is it just "almond shaped"? The shape I mean is round on the top and bottom but meets at a point on the sides. Thank you, math geniuses for this help in advance.

4 comments:

jfb said...

"Amygdaliform", but that's just a $10 word for "almond-shaped". I had to look up the spelling, but not the word itself.

TA said...

"Almond-shaped eyes" is definitely a common term in women's magazines to describe Asian eyes. I dont know that Asian eyes are actually more almond-y than other eyes though. Don't all eyes more or less involve curved lines at the top and bottom that meet at points on the sides?

Anonymous said...

also an option is calling the shape a mandorla - but this usually (i.e. in Xian iconographic context) involves the points being at top and bottom with the smooth curves on L and R. -AK

Andrea said...

Amygdaliform and Mandorla definitely sound like the two runners-up for the Natalie Portman character's name in the "new" Star Wars movies. Thanks, two smartest people I know.