Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Book Proposal

You know how it's all the rage to do something for a year and then write about it? Well, it is the rage, and it has been for like 20 years. The projects have just gotten more outlandish. For example, in high school, I read a book about a man who spent a year at Harvard's Divinity School, and then wrote a book about it. More recently, a guy lived only by the rules in the Bible for a year, and wrote a book. Another read the Oxford English Dictionary. One woman read a different book every single day for a year. Another guy didn't throw out anything, including his own bodily waste. I may be free-styling with that one, but you get the picture.

A minor hobby of mine is to come up with something I could do for a year, that would be wierd, but not uncomfortable, and then write a book about it. Actually, my hobby is to think about thinking about that, but never actually coming up with anything. I had my first idea tonight though, while reading the L.L. Bean catalog. What if I only wore stuff from L.L. Bean for a year? Including those heinous mom khakis that bag at the area between your waist and your hips? And Bluchers. Every day, 365 days.

Could I do it? Would my husband still find me attractive? Or would no one notice (my bigger fear)? Is this book deal worthy? Would L.L. Bean vanity-publish this? I realize that this proposal needs some refining, but I want you to know that I've finally jumpstarted my new hobby, "imagining one year projects that could be pitched as book proposals".

5 comments:

beth said...

I have a ridiculous amount of comments on this, enough to necessitate The Bulleted List:

* have you seen My Year of Everything? Dave Holmes (whose other blog rules as well) is writing about reading a bunch of those Thing for the Year projects

* I have been buying a lot of LL Bean lately, returning to a state of inner preppie that would horrify teen Beth. That said, I too was flipping through the catalog just last night (!) and had to stop and show this picture (jump to page 118-119) to my husband. A Lubavitcher would call that frumpy!

* I am in the midst of a similar half-assed (in length and execution) project of my own. Another blog to neglect!

Andrea said...

Beth, it puts me in the mind of Tuscadero's Nancy Drew:
http://www.lyricsmania.com/nancy_drew_lyrics_tuscadero.html

Thanks for the other tips and I will now be writing about a book about reading your blog for a year.

Andrea said...

Oh and Beth, it was the pants on pp 116-117 that made me want to start this project, because I thought, "what could possibly induce me to wear those pants?" And a healthy publishing advance was all I could think of.

beth said...

Excellent! Now I have to have a SDN:RH wrap party in the fall where I perform that Tuscadero song with you and Kellie H. as backup singers.

Andrea said...

Beth: Just.Say.The.Word. and I am there.