The damn banana lobby.
Something else: We really take our water, sanitation and sewage systems for granted around here. Because when you don't have stable systems, its a huge bummer, and much less happens if you have to worry about those basics.
Those are just two obvious, and possibly baseless, observations.
On Thursday of our visit, the big event was a sailing trip with Matt and Katie, folks Carl and Angie met down there. They were really nice hosts and totally effortless sailors (i.e., I never freaked out for a second that anything bad was going to happen even though I was in a tiny vessel in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Nicaragua, not a place I ever saw myself). It was one of the most relaxed times I had, because everything was in someone else's hands, including my kids. Q was napping back at the house, while Angie stood guard, and Liam was "fishing" off the back of the boat and talking Matt and Katie's ears off. Magical.
On Friday, the big event was a baseball game in Rivas. Frente Sur Rivas played Caribbean Coast. It's hard to describe this event. It was like watching a major league game in a municipal ballpark, and not a fancy municipal ballpark. More like an all-concrete, abandoned ballpark. But with really excited fans, and many vendors walking the wide rows, selling ceviche (where does that seafood come from?), cashews, mangos, loquats - any of which they will douse with hot sauce or vinegar at your request. You could also buy individual cigarettes, which strangely made me want to smoke, only because they were probably 5 cents a piece. I cannot pass up a bargain, you know? Unfortunately, the kids were cranky and it was hot, and I drank 3 ToƱas, so after 5 innings we were ready to roll. Rivas was ahead when we left. Another observation: there's a lot of Yankees and Red Sox gear in that country.
6 comments:
Re: sanitation, etc
Even before I traveled to the Rep of Georgia and peed in a hole in the ground (while sightseeing, not in anyone's home), I thought that America's true strength is in our plumbing. Democracy is great and all, but I pledge allegiance to refrigeration, ice, water pressure and advanced (and invisible for the most part) sewage control.
Look. I don't want to question your observations, but the only Red Sox hats I see in the crowd around you are on the heads of your kids. Brook,strangely, seems to be wearing a Dale Earnhardt Jr. hat. What's up with that? Is Brook a secret NASCAR fan?
Why am I not shocked that you all traveled so far to attend a baseball game?
Steve - even worse. Out and proud NASCAR fan. Actually believes little E's troubles are all Tony Eury's fault. Sigh.
Steve, the gentleman on the left was not, as far as I know, a member of our family.
And a year in Alabama changes a man.
Drea - Look. I don't want to be a pud. But I went to the University of Chicago, so I can't help myself. That guy to the left of your family seems to be wearing some peculiar (I would guess unauthorized) "LA" hat. In blue and orange it looks like. The colors of the Mets. But they are from New York. So that doesn't make any sense. The Dodgers are - and have always been - blue and white. The Angels have worn a number of colors, but never, in my memory, blue and orange.
Post a Comment