Thursday, February 07, 2008

Points to Sami

I want to pull something out of a comment below:
Somehow people use the fact that Obama is not PERFECT in his policy recommendations as an excuse to support a more 'realistic' choice. Come on, like somehow being 'ready to lead on day one' is more realistic!? I think this is just an excuse to not have hope and to be a crabby cynic- if I don't have hopes, I can't be disappointed. Blah.
Sami is really right here. It should be acknowledged that Obama is not perfect. Why just last night Dr. Pessimism was saying that Obama snubbed Gavin Newsom some years ago during the heyday of gay marriage in SF. (Newsom still has his knickers in a twist about this). Obviously, Obama has been a politician so there are going to be a few stories like this. Another Obama snafu was the land deal with Tony Rezko. Boneheaded, indeed.

Maybe I am too intoxicated by the Obama joy juice. But let's call these what they were: Mistakes. We all make 'em. But on the other hand, for years, Bill and Hillary Clinton have been doing stuff that she'd like to call mistakes but can't. WalMart? Ooops! She totally meant to say something about that union-busting! Or how about letting Monsanto poison America's food supply? Hey, Woh, not my fault! And we haven't even started to rehash Monica, Whitewater, Travelgate, the undisclosed presidential papers . . .

I am not saying that these things would keep me from voting for her in November if I must. But I do think a lot of this stuff makes her harder to get behind, and its a lot harder to forgive, then the fact that Obama's policy statements explicitly acknowledge that he intends to work with Congress and policy experts on accomplish his legislative agenda. In fact, I think it would be a mistake for him to do otherwise.

No comments: