Friday, August 17, 2007

New World Order

FINALLY, someone has put all the pieces together. Jonathon Lee Riches has identified what must surely be a comprehensive list of all the Major Players in The New World Order. I can breathe a little easier knowing that Jessica Alba, Skittles Candy, Nobel Peace Prize, Ken Jennings, Planet of Pluto, POW-MIA, Gangs in Hong Kong, "VERN MINNI ME", Ming Dynasty, Wu Tang Clan, Nordic Gods, Medieval Times, Eglin Air Force Base, Elizabeth Smart, Meals on Wheels, Fruit of A-Loom, and Tsunami Victims* are finally being called to account for their crimes against humanity.

In less interesting news, but in keeping with my mass market children's sci-fi interest, I am reading the final Harry Potter book right now. I am about 500 pages in, and I have this to say: It sucks. It may be casting a pall over the whole series, which I have liked. This book is too long and yet Nothing happens. Most other books/series of this ilk involve A Journey or A Quest, and things move along at a decent pace. In this one, Our Heroes sit inside a tent decorated like a penthouse, and wait for the stuff they need to show up outside the door. Mostly they argue or make really bad decisions. Its derivative of good books (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia) and unique in how much irritating bickering and brooding there is. I suspect Ron Weasley will be the ultimate hero of this one, because he, at least, leaves rather than navel-gazes, and then has actual epiphanies and emotional growth.

Maybe it picks up in the last 60000 pages.

* I am not even sure that I picked the funniest ones.

No comments: