Thursday, August 09, 2007

McKinley's Thumb

Our office has a case in Crescent City, CA next week with which we've all played a bit of Hot Potato/Not It/(juvenile avoidance game of your choice). My excuses for not doing this case have run the gamut from "I have a case in San Ho the next day" to "I'm still nursing". Those are legit excuses, except the San Ho thing got pushed back til October. So then I thought, When will I be at Pelican Bay again? Why not take the family?

Actually, I want to go to National Redwood Park and its surroundings, and I figure we could kill two birds with one long-ass drive north. So, I was researching things that my hubs would find interesting enough to buy this crazy idea, and lo! I learned that Arcata's statue of William McKinley is missing its thumb. Apparently, "pinheads" stole it. It was eventually recovered, with the mayor making this criticism:
I just think it was a stupid, selfish, unjustifiable act. It's public property. I don't care if you don't think it was art. Get drunk and pierce your nose, but leave McKinley's statue alone.
True THAT.

No comments: