Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Berkeley CA - Taint of the East Bay

Sometimes I go out looking for reasons to hate Berkeley - reading the Parents Network Advice newsletters, actually going to Berkeley - and sometimes the reasons just come to me.

The other day I read Rats, by Robert Sullivan, an enjoyable read by a writer I like. So good, I breezed through it.* Anyway, in the Afterword to the paperback, Sullivan talks about his book tour, and how he repeatedly had to reassure folks that his focus is wild rats, not "fancy" rats, i.e. pet rats, and that he doesn't hate fancy rats, in fact, he just isn't concerned with them. But you know that Berkeley people need to take this to a whole different level. He's too polite to say it, but it's clear that when he came to do a reading in Berkeley, nine people actually showed up to protest his book, believing (without reading even the subtitle of the book) that Sullivan hates fancy rats and wants them all eliminated. It's just so embarrassing what they'll protest over there.

* Full disclosure: Robert's mom was my high school English teacher. She was pretty much my favorite teacher, and I have been a big fan of Robert's books, starting with Meadowlands, which I think is his best, but that's possibly for sentimental, New Jersey reasons.

1 comment:

DaveMcMahon said...

meadowlands was one of the best new jersey books ever written, it captures the rotten and lovely soul of places like kearney, and my home town north arlington. I'll never foget the passge where he is canoeing through thick chemical muck and he turns the bend to see a Russian immigrant jumping into the water. just classic. have been chomping at the bit for rats.

not surprised with the berkeley protest. I remember people protesting the larry flynt movie. don't you all have anyhting better to do out there? sheesh.