If Home Ec was taught in my high school, I definitely gave it a pass. If I knew what retrograde meant, or even suspected, I surely would have used that word. And what would nuns have been able to teach about home economics? I can't answer that, but I do wish now I had learned a bit more of the womanly arts. So does everyone else, which is why, when I am finally free to quit my job, one of my many business ventures will be to open a Home Ec themed set of stores/learning centers. But I digress from what I really intended to post.
A friend, who occasionally reads this blog, has signed up for a sewing class. I share her utter terror at this experience and can't wait to live vicariously through her blog posts. Until she updates us, I thought I would share with all of you the basic instructions on how to make a skirt. I have not made this skirt but a friend has made several of them (since she lives in a country where they do not seem to sell women's clothing in a size 8) and I can tell you, they look great, especially for having been made by another home ec avoider.
Now on to our cooking project. This one is super-easy. It's the basic skirt of food, actually. Pasta with sausage. Mark Bittman recipe from basically every cookbook he's ever written. Boil water. Crumble 1/2 lb of italian sausage in a melted Tb of butter on med-high heat. Add 1/2 c. water to simmer. Cook pasta (like the whole box). Reserve 1/2 c of pasta water. Drain pasta. Mix sausage and pasta. Add water back in if you need to (you won't). Add 1/4 c of parmesan cheese. Also really good if you add broccolini but not completely necessary. Every non-vegetarian in the house will eat this, I promise.
Why am I telling you this? People (like, one person) is always asking me what I feed my kids, and that recipe there is on the menu probably twice a month. So now she knows.
This is all practice for my Home Ec empire.
No comments:
Post a Comment