Monday, January 07, 2013

Can't stay away

It's New Year's resolution time, which gives me that hanker to blog on my real blog. I've really missed it, too. Mainly because my two main readers refuse to join Facebook. So the mountain will come to Muhammed on this one, and I will make another go at St. Scobies. I've also resolved a six-month long access problem (forgotten password) by changing my password. Okay, I'm back, y'all.

With a lot to blog about, actually. But I will start with New Year's resolutions. First of all, let's review 2012:

1. Less TV for kids - this happened sporadically but was offset by my kids' growing awareness of the possibilities available to them via my iPad and (sigh) the kindles Santa got them from Christmas.
2. meatless Monday - while this did not happen specifically, we had almost totally eliminated red meat from our home menu, and did increase our seafood intake. So that's something.
3. running coach (?) - This didn't happen.
4. singing lessons - This did. I took one lesson, got the jist of what it would entail, and decided I am fine singing off-key. I also took swimming lessons, and feel much more confident swimming laps now.
5. write a song? Call it "Sans Netsuki"- What can I say? I am a frustrated songwriter. However, I did start writing a scifi novel. Started it is the operative phrase, but I am committed to finishing it this year.
6. New music? - Bought Big Boi's new album. Does that count? It is awesome.
7. Date night? - In the works.
8. Videogames only as reward - Depends on your definition of reward.
9. Chores for kids - This did happen. Kids got 5 chores and while they are wildly inconsistent on doing them, reminding them is effective, because they do seem aware that they are responsible for them. 
10. See Joan Rivers movie - Didn't happen.
11. Floss more - Data not available. 
12. Harry Nillson documentary - Didn't happen. I hate documentaries.
13. see Mitch Hedberg stand-up video (RIP)  - Did this. It was probably like watching a Hitchcock film now. It was like, "what is the big deal? This is sort of derivative." and then you realize everyone else is ripping him off. Pretty funny but not, like, mind-blowing. 
14. Thank Mario - Sorry, Mario.
15. Watch more stand-up - Does reading Jason Zinoman's column count?
16. Lose the baby fat - So did not happen.
17. Get that fuckin' Jeep out of here - Happened. I had nothing to do with it, I don't think.
18. Get linen panties -  Will work on it 2013.
19. Start a denim panties business - The market is still out there.
20. Learn bird calls - Do you realize how drunk I was?
21. Get more babysitters - this happened. We LOVE our babysitter.
22. Get a public access TV show - Definitely needs to happen. Possibly will launch as a podcast. In my mind.



I am giving myself credit for 8 of these, plus extra credit for the swimming lessons and the novel. But only one extra point. So I have a completion rate of 41%. I can live with that.

And now for 2013:
1. Obtain and maintain a sour dough starter: Already ordered it. Keeping it alive will be the real challenge.
2. Take a sewing class: Only weakly committed to this, I just want to figure out how to use my sewing maching.
3. Try Pilates 
4. Read one book per month: I finished two books last week but sadly it was prior to Jan 1. I am reading Game of Thrones now.
5. Buy at least 5 new albums: Recommendations welcome.
6. Camp at least once -big basin? - Wanna come?
7. See Big Sur
8. Finish my novel about Mars
9. Oh, and I will try blogging a bit more.

More to come, I am sure. Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For 2013:

2) Chandler can teach you. On the down side, she can be kind of scary in efficient teaching mode. But if you take it seriously she's actually pretty awesome at it. And you can drink during/after class.
4) Read Gilead. Don't get too invested in GOT. Have you seen that guy's author photo? No way he lives through completing series.
6) In.
7) In (even though you didn't invite)
8) I think I have strong feelings about this novel. Lets discuss over beer.
9) Me too.

Happy new year!