It's hard to know where to go with resolutions this year. I don't want to rest on my laurels, but I've come to like a lot of things about myself, and I don't really like sacrifice all that much. On New Year's Day -- well, actually later that same night -- I made an insane list that has items like
26. Watch some Mitch Hedberg stand-up
27. Thank Mario
I'm actually so mortified about what else I may have put on that list that I am afraid to go back and look at it. And it suggested a modest but obvious resolution of
1. Drink a bit less.
Which hasn't been all that taxing so far.
One friend we saw this weekend held the view that effective resolutions had to meet certain criteria. First of all, they need to be specific. He's right; "I will lose 5 pounds by exercising 3 times a week and eating 100 fewer calories a day" is more effective than, "Lose some weight." But it's also a little boring to make goals like that.
Another criteria, they should not be boring. He said that after he'd challenged himself to do a 100 mile bike ride, and then did it again, that really crazy resolutions do not exist. Many people can do most things (putting aside major barriers). The only stuff left is Jackass-type stuff. But if you set goals that make you less boring than you end up a better or at least more interesting person at the end of the year. He was considering trying out guitar (he's already a pianist, so not a stretch) or writing a book about a really weird case he worked on. In that vein, I am thinking about taking singing lessons. Actually I think I will resolve to:
2. Take a singing lesson
I think I have maxed out my resolution making abilities for the night. What did you resolve to do in 2012?
1 comment:
Could not love Mitch Hedberg more. I was so pissed when he died. We need funny people in this life. I wasn't done with him. He was one of my favorites, Dan too. Don't overdose, you dumbass!
Heather
Post a Comment